Sony ditches analogue face buttons for digital ones on the PS4 controller
Something many people didn't realise is that the PS3's controller had analogue face buttons.
They were pressure sensitive but it was a feature that developers didn't often make use of. As a result the DualShock 4 controllers will be using digital face buttons as part of the refinements brought in on the new controller.
Sony's Toshimasa Aoki explained, “With the DualShock 3, we were able to get analog data, which games didn’t really use. For DualShock 4, we deleted that, and now it’s all digital. The mechanism inside is a little different, and the data that games get is different.”
Sony has also adjusted the positioning of the buttons so they are now perfectly spaced when compared to the DualShock 3 controllers where the triangle and cross buttons were slightly closer together than the square and circle ones.
Aoki added, "Nobody noticed it. Actually, when we were testing and laying it out, we said, ‘Hey, the DualShock 3 isn’t really the same distance there.’ When we designed the DualShock 4, we wanted the touchpad to be in the middle and as large as possible but not enough to make the controller really big. We made the square and circle a little closer, so they’re the same distance as all the buttons. That saves horizontal space to have more for the touchpad.”
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year