Sony ditches analogue face buttons for digital ones on the PS4 controller
Something many people didn't realise is that the PS3's controller had analogue face buttons.
They were pressure sensitive but it was a feature that developers didn't often make use of. As a result the DualShock 4 controllers will be using digital face buttons as part of the refinements brought in on the new controller.
Sony's Toshimasa Aoki explained, “With the DualShock 3, we were able to get analog data, which games didn’t really use. For DualShock 4, we deleted that, and now it’s all digital. The mechanism inside is a little different, and the data that games get is different.”
Sony has also adjusted the positioning of the buttons so they are now perfectly spaced when compared to the DualShock 3 controllers where the triangle and cross buttons were slightly closer together than the square and circle ones.
Aoki added, "Nobody noticed it. Actually, when we were testing and laying it out, we said, ‘Hey, the DualShock 3 isn’t really the same distance there.’ When we designed the DualShock 4, we wanted the touchpad to be in the middle and as large as possible but not enough to make the controller really big. We made the square and circle a little closer, so they’re the same distance as all the buttons. That saves horizontal space to have more for the touchpad.”
- Trine series sells 7 million copies, Frozenbyte releases user-creation tools
- Lots of teary-eyed gamers as more Star Wars: Battlefront 3 gameplay footage leaks out
- Jade Raymond leaves Ubisoft Toronto to pursue new opportunities
- Ryse: Son Of Rome scores Best Game Design award at the Animago Awards in Germany
- Activision releases the launch trailer for Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare a little early
- Rockstar won't be holding a beta for GTA Online on the PC
- UK to toughen up laws on internet harassment
- Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward expansion announced for release next year, first screenshots released
- Driveclub issues persist as players report trouble downloading the latest patch