Game Convention 2008 kicks off in Leipzig
Games Convention 2008 has started in the eastern German city of Leipzig. The show is in it's 7th year and will play host to over 547 exhibitors spread over 115,000 square metres. This is up massively from 12,500 square meters last year.
Several themed areas are in presence to give everyone a bit of what they want - ranging from a business centre, "GC Beach Club" with quads and a real beach (I forgot my speedos - Ed), a Developers Village for discussing z-buffering issues, "Level 1 - Learning to Play" for families, and a gaming art exhibition. Extensive.
Apparently walking distances have been improved this year, ensuring pale gamers won't have to exert themselves moving their overworked thumbs between stands.
The interesting sounding Video Games Live concert will be playing out this evening featuring music from Halo, Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider. This audio-fest will be produced by a synphony orchestra conducted by Jack Wall, 21 year old US pianist Martin Leung and a "powerful" choir. Lasers and actors playing game characters will feature too, we're told. Geek overload? Possibly.
When that's all over the "GC Freestyle - Gamer Camp" will provide camping facilities with DJs, sports and most importantly free wifi. This is based at the festival ground near Leipzig's main stadium.
Rumours of a move to Frankfurt next year haven't been addressed by any of the organisers yet, but rest assured that we'll be asking questions if only so that we don't get on the wrong train in a years time.
Needless to say that we're on the show floor and will be reporting live for the next few days, or until our laptop keyboards give in.
- Valve's Chet Faliszek has been confirmed as the first developer session for EGX Rezzed 2015
- One area from Zelda Wii U is as big as the entirety of Skyward Sword
- Telltale's new collaboration is with Mojang, on a Minecraft story game
- Franklin voice actor indicates GTA V story DLC is on the way
- Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire and Bully sequels will come when the time is right says Rockstar
- Telltale teases another collaboration with another game developer
- New Company Of Heroes 2: Ardennes Assault trailer recognizes the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge
- New Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer focuses on character customization
- Splash Damage's free-to-play shooter Dirty Bomb coming to Steam in the new year